Government cuts will not affect security for London 2012 promises Home Secretary
Tuesday, 28 December 2010
British Sports Internet Writer of the Year
December 28 - Britain's Home Secretary Theresa May (pictured) has promised that Government spending cuts will not lead to security at the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics being compromised.
Earlier this month it was announced that funding for security at the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics could be slashed by up to £125 million ($198 milion) - nearly a quarter of the original budget - to £475 ($730 million).
But May claimed that the reduction in funding is down to declining costs and greater efficiency, rather than Treasury-driven cost cuts.
"We will never scrimp on security," said May.
"My focus, and the focus of everyone involved with the Games, is to deliver a safe and secure Olympics that London and the whole world can enjoy."
The reductions in funding had been found by cutting out areas of duplication, unnecessary spending and coming up with a more realistic budget, May claimed.
"These changes have not been imposed by me or by the Chancellor to save money," said May.
"They are what those responsible for leading the Olympic safety and security programme believe is appropriate.
"Their experience and detailed planning have shown it should be possible to deliver all of the necessary security measures for around £475 million ($730 million)."
December 2010: Security budget for London 2012 set to be cut by nearly a quarter
October 2010: Police will be "very, very stretched" during London 2012 Olympics
February 2010: London 2012 faces significant security threat warns Met Police Commissioner
November 2009: London Olympics is greatest threat to national security since World War 2 warns Minister
November 2009: Multi-million pound security boost For London 2012 Olympics