Fact of the day
In 1972, American Frank Shorter, who was born in Munich, became the first from his country in 64 years to win the Olympic marathon. As Shorter was nearing the end, German student Norbert Sudhaus entered the Stadium, joined the race and ran the last kilometre; thinking he was the winner, the crowd began cheering him before officials realised the hoax and escorted him away. Arriving seconds later, Shorter was perplexed to see someone ahead of him and to hear the boos and catcalls meant for Sudhaus.Read more facts
- Which sport should be added to the Olympic programme at Tokyo 2020?
- Russian set to be stripped of London 2012 Olympic title after doping ban
- IRB reveals schedule for 2014-2015 Sevens World Series with Olympic qualification up for grabs
- IPC pleased with preparations for Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- David Owen: A tale of two elections
Which sport should be added to the Olympic programme at Tokyo 2020?