Andrei Rodrigues, the special safety secretary at Brazil’s Ministry of Justice, has assured spectators, athletes and volunteers attending the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games that the country is prepared to deal with the threat of terrorist attacks on the host city.
Rodrigues is in charge of more than 47,000 Brazilian security professionals, who will be joined by 38,000 members of the armed services in securing the Games which will begin in exactly 200 days.
It is claimed the security operations around the 17-day event will be the largest in Brazilian history, and Rodrigues maintains full confidence in Rio de Janeiro remaining free from terrorism.
"Brazil is prepared," he said.
"We have hosted a series of events which have not taken place in any other place, which has allowed us to advance and progress with each step taken."
Rodrigues says 10,000 officers will be brought from the national force to Rio, and that there will be almost 5,000 federal police officers from other parts of Brazil.
Last year, around 100 Brazilian police officers travelled to a number of large-scale international sporting events to learn about best practices for ensuring safety.
These included the Baku 2015 European Games, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Championships in Beijing, the Tour de France, the United Nations General Assembly and the Boston and Berlin marathons.
"We have implemented the Integrated Anti-Terrorism Centre, a specific body of police, law enforcement and intelligence, to increase the exchange of information, training and knowledge," said Rodrigues.
"Police from several countries are working with us, mutual cooperation between countries is vital."
According to Rodrigues, efforts will also be focused on making the entire city of Rio safer, not only the areas surrounding the Olympic venues.
"We cannot think about staging the Games if the city as a whole isn’t safe," he said.
"A very large effort is underway to maintain safety on a daily basis.
"The Games will signify reinforce in security, wherever that may be."
Brazil has been urged to take security threats more seriously, particularly along its 17,000 kilometres-long border, amid growing fears over possible terrorism this summer.
It follows President Dilma Rousseff approving a proposal in October for a temporary visa-waiver scheme to be introduced for a 90-day period spanning both the Olympics and Paralympics.
Concerns have been raised that this could make it easier for those posing a security risk to enter the country.
The scheme will only apply to countries with "strong Olympic traditions", however, such as the United States, Canada, Australia and Japan, and could lead to a 20 per cent increase in tourism during the Games, it is hoped.
The citizens of numerous other countries, including those from the European Union, Russia, Mexico, Argentina and South Korea, can already enter the country for up to 90 days without a visa.
The Olympic Games are due take place from August 5 until 21 with the Paralympic Games to follow from September 7 until 18.