January 22 - A series of letters received by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and at least three National Olympic Committees (NOC) have been dismissed as "hoaxes" rather than genuine evidence of a terror threat ahead of Sochi 2014.
It is understood the IOC has received a similar letter and that there was a name attached to the emails but it has not been disclosed.
But in a statement sent to insidethegames, the IOC downplayed the credibility of the threat.
'The IOC takes security very seriously and passes on any credible information to the relevant security services," the statement said.
"However, in this case it seems like the email sent to a number of NOCs contains no threat and appears to be a random message from a member of the public."
A spokesman from the Slovenian Olympic Committee told Reuters that the Committee has received a terrorist threat letter written in Russian, which has been "translated and forwarded to the police," while the Italian Olympic Committee admitted to receiving an email containing "terrorist threats" regarding the Sochi Games.
The Hungarian Olympic Committee (HOC) has made similar claims and secretary general Bence Szabo admitted a letter had been received and an investigation had already begun.
"The information is true, unfortunately," he told Nemzeti Sport
"A letter written in Russian and English was received at the HOC's international email account, threatening the Hungarian delegation to Sochi with terrorist acts.
"They also told us we had better stay home... obviously the HOC will not make the decision on how seriously to take the threat or, God forbid, to stay away from the Olympics."
Hoax or not, the letters mark the latest twist to an ongoing security saga that is threatening to overshadow the Games when they get underway in Sochi next month.
Earlier this week, Islamic militants released a video claiming responsibility for the two deadly suicide bombings in Volgograd and threatened further attacks during the Olympics as the Sochi 2014 Torch enters the volatile North Caucasus's region from which most threats originate.
In conjunction with intelligence operations from the United States and elsewhere, Russia has responded with what has been considered the biggest security operation in Olympic history.
More than 30,000 police and Interior Ministry troops began deployment earlier this month, while measures to restrict vehicle access, the sale of firearms, explosives and ammunition, and protests which are not connected with the Games, have also come into operation.
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com
January 2014: Georgia angered by expansion of Sochi 2014 security zone
January 2014: Militants threaten more attacks in Russia as Sochi 2014 Olympic Torch reaches Volgograd region
January 2014: Russian siege kills seven in pre-Olympic security operation
January 2014: Russia defuses bomb and arrests five terror suspects in latest scare ahead of Sochi 2014
January 2014: FBI agents to be sent to Russia to help protect US team during Sochi 2014