July 14 - Colombian-born Enrique Sanz has been appointed the new general secretary of CONCACAF, effective July 25, as the Confederation of North and Central America and the Caribbean continues its attempt to restore its credibility.
Sanz replaces acting general secretary Ted Howard who in turn had been filling the role after Chuck Blazer, the whistle-blower in last year's cash-for-votes scandal who held the post for 21 years, resigned last December.
Howard will now revert back to his previous role as deputy secretary general.
Sanz, who has lived in Miami for the last 13 years, was vice-president of South American soccer marketing agency Traffic Sports USA and, before that, founder and chief executive of Media Sports Marketing.
"With this appointment, and as part of CONCACAF's new leadership, I understand that my mandate is to oversee the administration of the CONCACAF, so that we may achieve our mission, which is to develop football throughout the region," Sanz said in a statement.
"Although not without challenge, I foresee a great new era for the confederation."
Jeffrey Webb, who replaced disgraced former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner as CONCACAF President, says he is confident the organisation has selected in Sanz "a professional with competence and integrity" to clean up the Confederation.
It has been rocked not only by last year's scandal involving a majority of its Caribbean federations and the subsequent resignation of Warner, but also allegations of financial mismanagement surrounding Blazer who CONCACAF delegates tried unsuccessfully, at their Congress in May, to have removed as a member of FIFA's Executive Committee.
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org